Monday, March 10, 2008

Thing 7

First I got signed into my Yahoo mail and my winking avatar showed up with an email. That was kind of fun. We use Internet Explorer here at our library. I printed off alot of the information on all of the subjects. I'm sure that I can use some of the helpful hints. I did not set up anything yet for instant messaging. As of now, I'm not a fan of text messages and maybe I'll change my mind about it in the future.

The video by Stephen Benedict--How Stuffworks was pretty interesting. I have never heard of Elkhorn coral before and how they harvest coral.

In Google talk regarding instant communication-chatting, I find no use for that right now in my job. Maybe if I had free time and wanted to chat to a friend, I might try it.

I'm old fashioned yet. I still prefer face to face communication. Someone told me not too long ago, that emailing sometimes can come across meaning something totally different than what the emailer was originally trying to say. Email is an excellent tool and has saved me alot of time. Several of the meeting notices I receive by email are now posted daily as to where before I would receive them by mail and sometimes they would arrive late.

Currently library patrons that chose to, receive notices from our library by email stating that their item or items that they requested are in, also any materials that are overdue or lost.

I can see that by the Library Journal that I am behind in the times with IM. With 11 million Americans using it in the corporate world, I imagine that libraries are not far behind. I could see where IM with reference could be a great tool.

The video where the gentleman proposed to his future bride thru text messaging was really fun to watch. Some of the videos I couldn't hear very well. Access to the reference collection was an interesting on along with the UC Mercel students loving the library and viewing the different parts of the library and how QUIET it was.

Went into Minitex Webinars and looked at the different types of Web Conferences. Checked out the Podcast about OPAL and listened to part of what Tom Peters had to say. I have participated in a couple of WEB conferencing sessions for training purposes. I signed on Connexion Client 2.0-The Express Tour with Mark Wilhelim. I tried to download it but all I got out of it was a loud blast into my headphones which needless to say, my ears rang for about an hour after that.

Thing 7 seemed to go on for ever and I do have alot of the materials printed off for future reference. Face to face communication is still the best but with our fast changing technology all of the options can be put to good use.

No comments:

Time to relax after 23thingsonastick

Yahoo! AvatarsYahoo! AvatarsYahoo! AvatarsYahoo! AvatarsYahoo! AvatarsYahoo! AvatarsYahoo! Avatars